Inspire* Nurture* Achieve*
Pupils’ social, moral, spiritual and cultural development is outstanding. Pupils are very well prepared for the next steps in education, training and employment.
At Olive we value the importance of Homework as it serves various educational needs. It serves as an intellectual discipline, establishes study habits, and eases time constraints on the amount of curricular material that can be covered in class, and supplements and reinforces work done in school. In addition, it fosters student initiative, independence, and responsibility and brings home and school closer together.
To help promote the routine of recording and planning homework, students should use the School Planner every day, to check what they have to do and by when it must be completed.
Families can help students (and the school) by:
· Checking the Planner to see what homework has been given;
· Providing students with time and space for learning at home;
· Talking to them about what they are doing;
· Asking students to explain it to you;
· Helping and guiding them when needed;
· Making it part of the daily routine.
We encourage students to talk to their families about school work. Students, Form Tutor and parents / carers will check the Planner each week and sign it to confirm that homework and other tasks are completed as required.
At Olive Secondary School the school planner provided to all students serves as a very important document. This is not only to be used for students to organise themselves by entering relevant information related to their studies but also to serve as a communication tool between the staff and parents.
It is to help students:
· Record homework
· Plan when home-learning can take place
· Plan time needed for certain tasks
· Get messages home by noting any newsletter dates
· Communicate with parents / carers
· Record in-class and out of class achievements
· Review progress
· Set Targets for improvement
· Collect Special Achievement Awards
· Be aware of important dates (school trips, exams, special events)
· Record detentions
· Use it- every lesson of every day and at home each evening;
· Keep it up to date;
· You as Parents can/must do the following to successfully utilise the planner;
· Be sure to check your child's planner every week at least, signing at the end of the week in the space provided;
· Acknowledge any notes from teachers to you;
· Be aware of any detentions issued and/or homework given;