Student Council is used in the school to promote achievement of the students in its widest forms in a positive way, from the classroom to the lunch hall and helping out around the school. It is also a way of developing vertical integration in the school to complement the horizontal integration that the form tutor system provides.
The Student Council Consists of:
· Is the chief spokesperson and officer of the Student Council;
· Calls meetings;
· Chairs meetings in a fair manner ensuring that all have an equal say;
· Has the casting vote if voting is divided equally
· Signs any letters, notices etc. that are issued by the Student Council;
· Liaises with school management;
· Ensures that the Student Council is run effectively and efficiently;
· Prepares the agenda for each meeting with the Secretary;
· Signs the minutes from the previous meeting with the Secretary, on acceptance.
· Takes over the responsibilities of the chairperson when he/she is not available;
· Assists the chairperson in the organization of the Student Council;
· Accompanies the chairperson to meetings when necessary.
· Prepares the agenda for each meeting with the Chairperson and in consultation with the other officers of the Council;
· Circulates the agenda to all members in advance of the meeting or at the start of the meeting;
· Takes minutes at meetings and writes them up;
· Distributes/reads out minutes from previous meeting and on acceptance, signs them with the Chairperson;
· Sends out letters and notice of meetings that will be held stating time and place;
· Ensures that everyone is aware that meetings are being held.
· Manages any funds raised by the Student Council;
· Keeps financial records in order and reports to the Student Council on the current financial status of the group;
· Makes a brief financial report at every student council meeting;
· Provides the Council and Board of Management with a complete financial report at the end of the school year.
· Keep the whole school informed about the activities of the Student Council;
· Keep notice boards updated;
· Help produce the Student Council newsletter, if the school has one;
· Take lots of photographs of Student Council activities to accompany any reports or notices for the board;
· Promote good communications between the Student Council and students, teachers, school management and parents.